Wednesday, January 23, 2013

The Animals and Dusty


House of the Rising Sun is one of the best songs ever written (and check out Hilton Valentine's sweet Gretsch). If you don't love this song something is wrong with you...missing. I have only met one person who did not like it and I still don't believe it. It was originally an English ballad written from a woman's perspective.The Animals version is the one that I (and most of us) are most familiar. I am currently working on my own arrangement of it and learning it on electric guitar. Also, you should own one Animals album on vinyl. You will never regret it.
One of my prized LPs is this shitty, Korean bootleg of The Best of the Animals. It came from the Korean record store in which my mom was working when she and my dad met and fell in love (at first sight) in 1968.
I
I am always listening to Dusty Springfield. I am currently deprived of a vocal teacher but this song is teaching me a lot. I can't get enough of it. You should own Dusty in Memphis. Vinyl is not enough in this case because the CD/download versions of it have additional tracks (Hi De Ho/That Old Sweet Roll and Willie and Laura Mae Jones) that are just excellent. This album is in my top 10 of all time.

And there you have it. As far as other people's music, these two songs have held all of my creative/musical attention lately and there hasn't been room for anything else. As a fun side-note update on the Bozman Household: Adrian and I are getting tattooed by Stefan Johnsson ( http://stefanjohnsson.blogspot.com/ ) next week. Adrian bought me an awesome mic and personal PA for Christmas and I paid off my Tiny Terror amplifier and brought it home.
Isn't it cute? It is tiny and loud, just like me! If you are nice to me, I will let you rock out when you come to visit us. Sooo y'all should come visit.
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment